We’re not quite done with examining the circa-early-1990s ACR. In addition to the three Armored Cavalry Squadrons, the ACR had its own organic air support in the Aviation Squadron.1 Let’s take a look. As always, I’ve seen plenty of variation in the support units.
- HQ & HQ Troop
- (3) UH-60L Blackhawk Transport Helicopters
- (3) EH-60L Electronic Warfare helicopters
- (1) OH-58D Kiowa Warrior Scout Helicopter
- (3) Attack Troops, each with:
- (6) OH-58D Kiowa Warrior Scout Helicopters
- (4) AH-64A Apache Attack Helicopters
- (2) Heavy Attack Troops, each with:
- (4) OH-58D Kiowa Warrior Scout Helicopters
- (7) AH-64A Apache Attack Helicopters
- (1) Transport Helicopter Troop
- (15) UH-60L Blackhawk Transport Helicopters
- Aviation Unit Maintenance Troop
- (12) M978 Tanker HEMTTs
- (18) 600 gal. fuel bladders
- (7) M977 Cargo HEMTTs
- (7) M35 2.5-ton cargo trucks
- (6) M923 5-ton drop-side cargo trucks with cargo trailers
- (18) Fuel PODS
- (6) Forward Area Refueling Equipment sets
When I first read of this, I was somewhat opposed, on the grounds that helicopters require lots of fuel. On the other hand, attack helicopters are pretty damn awesome, and scout helicopters are super useful. The above is some serious strikebreaking firepower, and I can’t argue with that. Or won’t. Whichever.
- Which I’ve also seen referred to as the Air Cavalry Squadron ↩
I’m pouring one out for the loss of the EH-60Ls (and ES-3s for the squids)…
I’m sure down the road – we’ll regret canning that mission set (and the corp-knowledge from those platforms).
I’m right there with you. I like those EH-60Ls.