If you’re the kind of person who looks at the URL bar, you might have noticed we went from a URL ending in 95 to one ending in 95-2 to one ending in 97. Getting real close to that centennial now.
- 492nd Fighter Squadron has some fun with nose art for Halloween – Yes, it’s been a little bit since we did a What We’re Reading.
- Pour one out for HMS Bristol, the Royal Navy’s biggest surface combatant – I think, at least.
- Inside the Special Boat Service, or at least as far inside as The Drive can get
- Japanese F-35s train with USS America – Japan’s F-35As, however, not their Bravos. That would be a bit too on the nose, having American F-35Bs fly off of their not-carriers, and flying their own off of our pseudo-carriers.
- Integrating AI into tanks: ATLAS and how it works – Kind of like a batman. “I say, Jeeves, what would you recommend for that T-80?” “Why, sabot, I should think, sir.” “Jolly good.”
- Lawsuit claims EA’s loot boxes are an illegal gambling system – Alas, only under the laws of Canada.
Science and Technology
- Inertia demonstrated by dust on a tennis racket – High-speed cameras are the best.
- The Starlink Terms of Service require you to recognize that Mars is a free planet and that Earth-based governments have no authority or sovereignty over Martian affairs – Baller move.
- The Starlink terms of service are attached to the Starlink public beta, which provides service comparable to low-tier fiber at a slight premium – Suddenly, living in the country and working remotely is a whole lot easier. Except when it rains.
- Right to repair: a rare gleam of bipartisan agreement – It’s not left vs. right, it’s the people vs. the cyberpunk megacorps.
- A funeral for Google Play Music – Guess it’s time to get that lifetime Plex Pass so I can host a lesser service myself.
- Weirdo bubblehead slang – There’s a lot of it.
- What it’s like to be locked out of your Google account – I really ought to run some preparedness drills and make sure there’s nothing in my Google account that I can’t get at some other way.
- Glock 26 Grandmaster Tony Wong speaks – He’s a very unusual character, the epitome of ‘the gun doesn’t matter’, and probably not giving super-useful advice in the same way that Usain Bolt probably isn’t going to be able to teach the average joe how to run that fast. Talent matters.
- Kimber flees North Cuomostan for greener pastures – Troy, AL.
- Shooting drill of the week: The Challenge
- Sidewalk vaults and true obsolescence – I shared this story instead of the one about the New Yorker who fell through a sidewalk into an abyss of rats.
- COVID was great for the Cannonball Run – What a story this is.
- There is, at the time of writing, still an election on.
- Class in America is divided by this question: do you shower before work, or after?