Cor, it’s Wednesday already?
I spent my morning coffee time working on learning one of the simple alphabetic shorthands, so this one’s a bit later than they’ve been.
- FNH offers a rangefinder/ballistic calculator combo for military customers only – Otherwise it would be under ‘guns’.
- Patria’s Ne(w)mo(rtar) fires some demo rounds at Fort Benning – Also, they move it around on a Cars (Pixar)-themed truck, evidently.
- SPEAR mini-cruise-missile is getting an EW variant
- Jordan unveils underwater museum of military hardware – Put another way, “We wanted to dump some old tanks in the ocean without making the environmentalists mad. Well, madder than usual.”
- Ace Combat comes closer to reality as Raytheon reveals Peregrine missile – The agility of an AIM-9X, the range of an AMRAAM, all in a 6-foot, 150-pound package, allowing fighters to ‘double or triple’ their munitions load. Notwithstanding that the physics seem a bit suspect (but I guess rocket motors have been improving), and a 150-pound missile clearly can’t have all that much explosive payload, three times 22 AMRAAMs on an F-15X is definitely Ace Combat territory.
- Germany’s military is a joke
- HK contracted to
polish a turdupgrade the SA80
- SAS gamer with Benelli M4 notches five ISIS fighters in seven seconds – COD numbers.
- Speaking of gamers, the Marine Corps has map tablets with a chat function
- Want to arm your JLTV? Oshkosh Defense presents some options
Science and Technology
- WiFi turns 20 – Wait, WiFi is only 20?
- Fun with historical chemistry: the A-12 burned cesium-laced fuel to make its exhaust plume less radar-reflective
- В новосибирском центре вирусологии “Вектор” произошёл взрыв – I mean, there was an explosion at a virology center in Novosibirsk called Vector.
- NFL Week One video roundup – “But isn’t it week two?” Yes, but we’re beholden to the pace of our favored round-uppers.
- The hometown Steelers’ defense is tired and predictable
- US exports more oil than Saudi Arabia
- The seedy world of semi-legal poker parlors in Texas
- US to leave the Universal Postal Union next month – It costs more to post a letter to Swissvale1 than it does to send a reel of resistors from Shenzhen, so I think this is a fair move.
- Another municipality in the vicinity of Pittsburgh ↩