Are we the kind of people to publish an article on Thursday, backdate it to Wednesday, and still call it ‘Wednesday What We’re Reading’? Evidently, yes. Also, I was on vacation over the weekend and only got back on Tuesday, so it’s going to be a little lighter than last time.
- On my trip, I read Blind Man’s Bluff, subtitled The Untold Story of American Submarine Espionage, which is very much worth a read. As a sim-submariner, I thought from the introduction that it was going to be a bit of a lightweight puff piece, but it quickly got better.
- Parvusimperator is working his way through Shelby Foote’s three-volume Civil War set.
- The UN wants to ban killer robots – I’m not sure what the Soapbox’s editorial position on killer robots is.
- Orders of battle for the PLAAF and PLANAF – Wargame away!
- Forgotten Weapons takes a look at a Swedish bullpup – How do I not own one already?
- Stop worrying about overpenetration – parvusimperator recommends this website in general, too.
- An automatically-actuated AR-15 bolt release – Insert a magazine, and the bolt closes it. Useful or gimmick? I don’t have the spare cash for it right now, and parvusimperator leans, I think, toward gimmick, so a review will have to wait.
Football Fast Approaches
As red-blooded Americans, we’re big NFL fans, so there’ll be some content of that flavor for the next six or seven months.
- The Bills Suck – Courtesy of western NY native parvusimperator.
- Your Team Sucks Too – Deadspin’s annual classic on why you should feel bad about your football team.
- Teeth-chattering winter in the cards? – Sure, they do about as well as chance, but it feels like it’s going to be a long, cold winter here in western Pennsylvania, so there’s that.
- Socialism is a crime against humanity – That’s definitely a Soapbox editorial position.